Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pregnancy: Week 6

Note: This post was written at week 6 of our pregnancy. I am currently at week 13. We should be caught up and posting "real-time" in a couple weeks. 

Another week on the books. Praise God! My recent post on anxiety in early pregnancy was good to get out. It also helped that we went away for a mini winter vacation this weekend, which kept my mind somewhat occupied. Nonetheless, I don’t think that will be my last word about anxiety and pregnancy. I’m doing okay right now though, and God is continuing to remind me that this is his child, not mine.

Overall, week six has been a smooth one. I am finding comfort in knowing that with each passing day we are that much closer to our 9 week appointment. I realize this is not a great way to live—looking to the future—but for now it’s how it is. Three more weeks until the “big day”! We are just focusing on our marriage, getting ready to move, and praying for the baby for now. And maybe we’ve started looking at joggers, strollers and car seats...just a little.

What's Up With the Baby

This week the baby is the size of a lentil (a high in iron food!), sweet pea, or small blueberry. It's nose, mouth and ears are beginning to take shape, with small protruding buds where the arms and legs will be—cute.

How I’m Feeling

As I mentioned, we went away this weekend for a snowy trip with our community group to the mountains. I was pretty tired the whole time and having waves of mild–moderate nausea (especially while dinner was cooking—agggh!), but I kept my cool and just sipped on water. It might have been obvious what was going on, but I have stomach aches fairly often, so who knows.

Aside from this, most of the week was smooth sailing—until last night. I woke up around 3am with horrible cramps and feeling like I might get sick. I got up and stayed in the bathroom for a bit, went back to bed, fell asleep for an hour, felt sick again, went into the bathroom, went back to bed, fell asleep...over and over. I felt like I was going to lose my mind. I just wanted to sleep. I woke up in mental exhaustion and decided to go into work an hour later so I could get a moment to myself. Today has been pretty much the same routine, lots of cramping and nausea, but no vomiting! I have to keep reminding myself it's all for a really good reason—the baby is growing!

Generally, the biggest issue I’m facing this week is fatigue. Oh boy am I tired. Some mornings I feel like I needed a nap before I even got out of bed. I feel really sluggish at work and am struggling focusing on much of anything. All I want to do is lay in bed and close my eyes. I can’t stay up past 10, and am pretty much ready for bed by 9pm. Usually after dinner I “hit a wall” and can’t do anything more. It’s been helpful that I have given myself permission to rest right now. Earlier in the week, I was also experiencing some crazy hormonal bouts. It was only for about a day and a half, and it felt a lot like I was having terrible PMS.

But perhaps the most exciting news is that I've got the makings of a baby bump. It's right below my belly button and ever so slight. I'm not sure anyone could notice but me, but Arthur said he could feel it when he ran his hand over my belly. A few of my jeans just won't button anymore and the hair tie trick + bellyband is keeping my pants right where they belong. Very exciting.

What I'm Eating

This week hasn't been too bad and I have been eating fairly normally. I'm not really having many food aversions, it's more that not a lot sounds good. My foods of choice continue to be string cheese and cold Trader Joe's pizza. Everything else gets forced down...except for the occasional sour patch kid, which I currently keep a bag of in my car. I may have had my first craving earlier in the week (which I indulged) for roasted red pepper and tomato soup with whole wheat spaghetti noodles and cheddar cheese. An old college favorite that I needed right then. We were at Costco and I begged Arthur to stop by QFC on the way home so I could run in and get the right stuff.

Arthur forcing Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake ice cream on me ;)


I worked out in the gym two times this week and felt pretty good. Right now I'm choosing either the elliptical or treadmill and averaging around 3 miles at a fast walking pace, which is about a 12 minute mile. This seems to be enough to get my heart rate to around 145-150 bpm, which is safe for my fitness level. I have also been lifting light weights (10 lbs) and focusing on my arms and legs. I make sure I'm engaging my core while I'm lifting, but am decidedly not doing much core work since I don't feel comfortable with it. We move in three weeks and our new place sadly does not have a gym. Hopefully the weather will start to get nice enough to do my walks outside! Come on Springtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. We would love to hear from you!