Monday, May 7, 2012

Pregnancy: Week 14



Seriously, I'm turning into a slob. Examples from just the past few days: looking down at church to find my stomach is covered in water from drinking out of my water bottle, feeling something poking me under the armpit of my dress at work and finding out it's popcorn from a few hours prior, and finally today, snacking on my almond butter sandwich and looking down 30 min later to find a big smear on my belly. Welcome to the SECOND trimester!

I've heard I'm not alone in this and being a total slob is a pretty common pregnancy "side effect." Regardless, I'm doing pretty darn well these days! My energy has returned almost in full, maybe an 8/10, and food aversions are nearly non-existent. In fact, I've been eating veggies this week like they're going out of style. My salt and vinegar potato chip obsession has thankfully turned into a salad fetish. Our refrigerator is chock-full of kale, spinach, butter lettuce, peas, strawberries and lots of other delicious fruits of the earth. I can't get enough! I've also been trying harder to keep my protein intake up with yogurt and cottage cheese. I don't think I'm getting enough everyday, but don't want to just snack on dairy and nuts. Any vegetarian suggestions?



The belly just keeps growing and I feel huge today! I felt like my stomach grew a foot overnight. The funny thing is that it seems to fluctuate throughout the day. Sometimes I will wake up and not look pregnant at all and by late afternoon I feel huge. Anyways, Baby is now the size of a large lemon (about 3.5") and can squint, grimace, pee, and suck his/her thumb. It's also exciting to hear that LB is stretching out and taking on more of a baby shape. I can't wait to see these new features!

Speaking of, we are going in for a surprise ultrasound tomorrow!! A sweet friend of ours works at a pregnancy clinic and they need pregnant "models" for the nurses to practice ultrasounds on. I am so grateful she thought of us and can hardly wait for tomorrow. I've been told that we will get to watch the ultrasound on a big flat screen TV and will, of course, get new pictures to take home. There is a small chance we might be able to find out the gender, but we've heard that 14 weeks still might be too early to definitively tell. I remember reading about when Emily found out at 13 weeks during her pregnancy. So I'm crossing my fingers for a peek!



In other exciting news, we have our first Centering class tonight! I'm looking forward to seeing how it works and meeting the other couples in our group. Hopefully we will also get to hear the heartbeat during our one-on-one time with the midwife and other fun stuff. I don't have any concerns yet to bring to our appointment, but I will say that I haven't gained any weight according to my scale (maybe .5–1lb), so I'm eager to see what the doctor's scale reads. It sounds like it's okay to not gain much in the first tri, but we will see what our midwife says.

I've been going for lots of walks this week on days the weather is nice. Sunday felt like summer—sunny and a warm 70ยบ—and we ended up walking 3-4 miles around West Seattle (never mind part of it was to get frozen yogurt...). I was so proud of myself! But boy was I sore the next day. However, despite my new energy, I'm still experiencing bouts of nausea. I'm assuming it's due to my fluctuating hormones, but it's still really annoying when it shows up out of the blue. I try to look at it as LB giving me a loving  "hi mom!"

I might have had my first early nesting instincts over the weekend. I decided on Saturday morning that I was going to switch our bedrooms. I have mainly been worried about the baby crying in a room that our next door neighbor shares a wall with, but also to get out of the room that's above our snoring downstairs neighbor. I started the switcheroo while Arthur was at work Saturday morning, and by the time he got home in the afternoon I was passed out on the bed and our house was all jumbled. He lovingly let me sleep, but was eager for an explanation when I woke up. Once I explained, he went along with my plan and finished moving the rest of our furniture with the help of our stepdad. We are both loving our new room and agree that it was the right decision—phew!


Took the doors off the closet for easier access. Curtains going up in their place soon.

Also Saturday morning, I bought a rug for the nursery at Marshall's for $50!!! I wasn't planning on going with a yellow and gray theme, but it was too cute to pass up and will be perfect. Everyone I've showed it to seems to think it will work great for either a boy or a girl. It's fun to start thinking about the nursery now and I'm actually really excited it's going to be so gender neutral. I bought these bright yellow polka dot crib sheets at Land of Nod this week with the thought that I'm going to play with mixing patterns. I think I have a pretty good idea of the general vibe I'm aiming for now, and plan to do a full nursery inspiration board soon!

The new nursery!


Need to catch up?

Pregnancy Posts:

Weekly Updates:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. We would love to hear from you!