Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pregnancy: Week 15



I've hit the point where I've started to feel so normal again that I sometimes forget I'm pregnant. The cramping and nausea are almost completely gone. There is still the occasional wince of pain or churn of the stomach, but overall I've been feeling great. My energy is blossoming and I find myself able to stay up a bit later than usual, although we still try to be in bed by 9:30. I can see why these are the golden days of being pregnant—I'm not huge and feel good enough to climb a mountain! Except for my back, which is killing me...

The ultrasound we were supposed to have got postponed a week. I was pretty bummed when I heard the news, but I'm crossing my fingers that this might give us a better chance at seeing the gender! I spent some time looking at 15 week ultrasound gender pictures on Google this week and it definitely looks like is a possibility to tell at this point. We're planning to ask the nurse how confident she feels in determining the gender, and will make a decision whether or not to have her tell us her guess based on what she says. It would be great to know, but not if she's just taking a shot in the dark. Otherwise we plan to wait until our anatomy/gender scan on June 4—yes, it's scheduled!!!



I'm not much into the gender determination wives tales, but we have been talking about what we think the baby is since day one. My first instinct was that we're having a boy, which is still what I think. I feel pretty strong in this conviction too...mother's instinct? Arthur thought boy at first and now thinks girl, but admits they are just arbitrary guesses. I have told anyone who asks that I would love to have a girl, but am happy with whatever God gives us. But the more time passes, the more I feel okay with either boy or girl. I know the Lord will open my heart to whatever gender our baby is. Girls are just so familiar to me, so it's easy to dream about what that would be like. I just can't wait to kiss those baby cheeks!

Papa K is officially obsessed with baby things (socks, books, clothes), as am I, of course! He bought a set of Dwell Studio baby books off Gilt the other day, along with some animal flash cards. We also spent Sunday afternoon wandering around Target, Marshall's and Barnes and Noble looking at baby clothes and children's books. I couldn't get enough of it, my heart was melting seeing him so excited about baby preparations. It was also fun to show each other our favorite childhood books. Mine was hands down Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

I haven't been exercising much this week since the weather has been cold and windy, but am itching to get out once it gets nice again. I am, however, starting prenatal yoga this Sunday, and am super excited!  My mother-in-law pre-paid some classes for my birthday to go with my sister-in-law to the studio that she's been loving.

Downward cat?


I mentioned in the last post about our first Centering class that we went through a stack of recommended books. Well, one of them was called Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn, authored by Penny Simkin. I had heard of Penny before, but honestly didn't know much about her. When Mia, our midwife for that class, showed the book, the women that is pregnant with her second child said that she took one/some of Penny's classes and highly recommended them and her book. So naturally I went home and Googled the heck out of Penny Simkin, and quickly saw what all the hype was about. That's one experienced woman!

Penny is actually local to Seattle, and teaches a class series based off of her book through Parent Trust. The class curriculum goes over preparing for labor and birth, preparing for breastfeeding, and preparing to care for your newborn. I figured we would go over most of these topic in Centering, but I'm not really sure to what extent. So I checked with Arthur who gave me the green light to register if I wanted to. Unfortunately, the Penny classes fall on Wednesday's, which are our Centering class days, so I opted for the class taught by a different instructor, but the same curriculum. I called Parent Trust to make sure everything about the classes was the same, and the woman assured me they were identical, except for the fact that Penny's series goes an extra week because she goes extra slow and gives lots of time for Q&A. I would rather go at a faster pace anyways, and her class was $100 more just because she teaches it. Our Great Starts series starts at the end of August and meets every week for a 2-hour class for 7 consecutive weeks. Papa K and I are both super excited!

We also signed up for the Conscious Fathering class, which was another recommendation. This is a class just for soon-to-be dad's taught by a guy. It's a one-time class for about two hours, and he gets to bring an uncle or grandpa-to-be for free. So of course we invited our brother-in-law who is having a baby right before us. I can't wait to hear about what they talk about. I think I read that this is a nationally taught class.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. We would love to hear from you!