Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pregnancy: Week 29

Hi, my name is Kelsey, and I'm a hormonal basket case.

Seriously, where did this come from? Totally out of the blue I seemed to have taken a hormonal 180 overnight. I woke up with two zits, sore boobs, teary eyes and the irresistible urge to be annoyed at everything. After being seven months pimple free, my skin and I say: What gives?!

Other than this nonsense, we've had a pretty great week. You might have heard about our HUGE news, and also LB is allegedly almost at her full birth length. Good things across the board! She's around 17 inches right now, but will nearly triple in weight over the next 11 weeks. I can definitely tell she's getting cramped in there and filling out her current home a bit more everyday. It seems that the sides of my belly are growing out and rounder, very much like a soccer ball but bigger.

I've also read that she's preparing to settle into her birth position of head down facing my back. I'm pretty sure she's been practicing for the past couple weeks since I've started to feel gentle kicks closer to my ribs. Although I still feel them most often down low or on my right side. In general her movements are very alien-like now that I can feel body parts moving around and not just thumps or rolls. This is definitely the best part of pregnancy—I can't get enough of it!

But perhaps the most exciting notable of this week is our first baby shower! Hosted by my super-pregnant sis-in-law, Heather, it was such a great time. Unfortunately for us knocked-up ladies, the weather was steamy hot—probably 90º—with no air conditioning. My mom set up fans all throughout the house, but it was hard to escape the heat. It seemed that everyone found the spot that worked for them and parked there for most of the night. There were a few points when I started to feel lightheaded and nauseous, but just focused on breathing and drinking water. If my 37 week pregnant sister-in-law could do it, I could surely do it too.

Despite the hot temps, we were so blessed by all our friends who came out to support us. We decided to have one big co-ed shower instead of a ladies shower with just my friends since this is a big change for Arthur too! It just made the most sense to us. Being that it was a prime summer weekend almost half the people we invited couldn't come, but I think it was for the better since more bodies = more heat.

The evening started out at 4pm with cheese and fruit appetizers and pink cocktails. The theme for the night was "Pink Party", and everyone was supposed to wear pink in honor of our little lady. So even the drinks were themed!

Guests just mingled for a while until dinner was served. The food spread was unbeatable and a big team effort from the "shower crew". Everyone was blown away by all the delicious salads and entrees—everything, except the salmon, was vegetarian friendly...although I did have a little nibble of the salmon, which was incredible! All throughout the house were dishes of fresh summer berries available for snacking. I'm sure I easily ate an entire pint myself.

After that was craft time. I was told there would be a guy-friendly craft, and I was so curious to find out what it was. Heather blew it out of the water again by having a wooden block crafting station set up. She ordered a pile of plain stained wood blocks and had stickers and patterned paper for people to decorate their block. The blocks then got sanded on the edges with a file and splotched with a bit of brown paint to make the edges and corners look vintage and worn.

After everything looked good, a final coat of Modge Podge coated and sealed everything in. Obviously us crafty type ladies were loving this, but I was surprised to see most of the guys get totally into it as well! It will be so fun to have a full set of unique blocks made by people that love our family so much. There are a few plain blocks left that we're going to bring to our family reunion in a couple weeks for the ladies to finish decorating.

As much fun as we were having, we had to pull away for a few minutes to open gifts since people were getting ready to head home (probably so they could get a breath of fresh air in their air conditioned cars!). This was our first time opening baby gifts together aside from the few that have been sent to our house. We alternated back and forth opening presents and ooh-ed and ahh-ed over all the adorable gifts our friends had picked out. Although we loved everything, the most notable gift was a crib from my mom and stepdad! It's on backorder, but should be here soon. We can't wait to set it up in the nursery.

We chose the Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertable Crib in white for it's sleek modern design. And it's a total knockoff of the popular Oeuf Sparrow crib, but half the price. I know it's going to look adorable with the Yellow Dotted Crib Sheets we ordered from Land of Nod. Eeeee!

Even with the heat, we couldn't have asked for a better party. The day even ended at a cool 70º with a gorgeous sunset. We left feeling extra loved and even more excited to welcome our little buddy into our community of such amazing family and friends.

A cool bucket of water fit for two swollen and hot pregnant ladies. Thanks mom!

The day before was also fun. I started off Saturday morning with a facial at Gary Manuel Aveda Institute. I can't say it was the best experience, or that I would go back, but I'm thankful for the dedicated relaxation time. I'm also not a huge fan of facials, but would much rather get a massage.

After that I drove my relaxed and greasy self over to Aunt Patti's house in Leschi to join the rest of the family watching the Blue Angels. This is where I hosted Heather's baby shower a couple weeks prior. Patti is going to be selling her gorgeous house that overlooks Lake Washington and I-90 soon, so this is probably the last time we'll get to spend Seafair on her deck. Honestly, the Blue Angels aren't the biggest deal to me, but Arthur can't get enough of them. It is pretty cool though that the planes fly right over our heads and seem like they could almost clip the roof of the house. We all wondered what the babies thought of the loud noise.

Overall a great week. I've been getting myself back to yoga after taking a week off from being sick, and feeling pretty good. Although I think I need to start incorporating some more challenging exercises into my week soon since I don't end up breaking much of a sweat at yoga. If only there were more time in the day set aside just for relaxation and exercise.

Need to catch up?

Pregnancy Posts:

Weekly Updates:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. We would love to hear from you!